What a beautiful... swan?

Todd and I were driving to the store when we passed a pond by our house and we saw a very large white bird.
We thought "Could it be a swan?"
So of course, we stopped. As soon as we got out of the car all of the ducks started swimming towards us ready for the bread that sadly, we didn't have..

I felt bad that we didn't have bread but wondered if I could trick them by throwing small rocks into the water, and I did! Don't worry they didn't eat the rocks but they would swim over to where I would throw the rocks ready to eat them.
Meanwhile, the swan was across the pond. It then decided it wanted to be a part of the action and charged.

I've never seen a bird swim so gracefully and so stinkin fast. It made me quite nervous. He plowed right through the ducks (which was hilarious I might add) and came right up to the edge of the pond. At this point, Todd and I had backed up to the car (the pond is right off the road) and I was about ready to climb on top of the car because we weren't sure if the swan wanted some "bread" or if it wanted to eat us. Plus Todd was having flashbacks of when he was little and a swan attacked him in Germany. When it got out of the water we decide it was time to go.

The funny thing is.. we went back.
We went home, grabbed some bread and went straight back. When we got back to the pond the swan was on the sidewalk. As we got out of the car another car pulled up and a lady got out and started throwing bread crumbs on the sidewalk. She walked right up to the swan and started talking to it like it was her pet. It was very strange. But we decided the swan was nice and walked over to say "hello".

Swans are HUGE. I don't think I had ever seen one up close like this before.


I made amends with the ducks and fed them real bread. They appreciated it.

That ridiculous lady threw her bread crumbs way to close to the road for my liking. All the ducks kept wandering on to the road! Luckily they were still far enough away from traffic.

It was so beautiful out that day. I could have stayed at the pond for hours! I can't wait for summer!

We have a video of the swan scaring us and everything but we can't figure out how to get it to play on our computer. So if and when we figure it out, i'll post it! It's pretty funny!

1 comment:

  1. Haha, my brother has totally been attacked by a swan too! But it was when he was young and he grabbed one of her little cygnets so she was very unhappy and jumped on his head!

    ReplyDelete