Canoe Outpost


Each week at camp the Aquatics staff puts together an overnight canoe trip. Any overnight trip the scouts go on, we have to send a staff member that is atleast 21 years old, so last night Todd and I decided to go. Usually they wont let girl staff members go on overnight trips for obvious reasons, but i'm married to Todd so they let me go!

So for the overnight trip the scouts hop in their canoes and canoe down the lake about 2 miles to a camp ground and then someone loads up their gear and drives it down to their campsite. Todd and I actually didn't get to go in a canoe this week because we haven't actually done our swim checks (oops). So we drove the scouts gear down to the camp. The organization of this overnight trip was a bit chaotic at first but it all worked out in the end. We had about 40 scouts and when they finally got to the camp ground, we gave them some snacks consisting of fruit snacks, string cheese, and jerky sticks. Then we built a fire and just hung out with the scouts for a bit before we sent them to bed. Most of them were so tuckered out from canoeing that they just set up their sleeping bag, layed down and went right to sleep. At ten o'clock we declared it was "quiet time" and made them get ready for bed, which I was super excited about because I was tired. Now, it has been a very very very long time since I have slept on the ground or on a sleeping pad. I think I might have slept on a sleeping pad at girls camp one time but thats it. So sleeping on a small sleeping pad felt very strange to me. Todd and I were laying in our sleeping bags, and I can't remember the exact converstation because I was a tad bit loopy for being so sleep deprived, but for some reason I said, "I would hold your hand, but I'm stuck in a canoe." What I really meant though was "I'm stuck in a cacoon" referring to my zipped up sleeping bag. After I said it I immediately caught my mistake and giggled for a good 5 mins or so. In fact I still laugh to myself a little when I think about it.



I'm super glad we went on the outpost. It was a lot of fun and super pretty scenery. I almost took my brothers awesome Nikon D70 with me but I wasn't sure what I was getting into and didn't want anything to happen to it so I left it locked up at camp. I did take my regualr camera though and managed to get a few shots of the beautiful wheat field we set our tent up next to.







Super pretty right? I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment