We went to Staff Week up at Bear Lake and lets just say it didn't go as planned. When we got up there, we discovered that our living conditions were not in the best of shape. Basically, it was a disgusting trailer. Long story short, we tried to clean it up the best we could but all the dirt, dust and flies were too much for my asthma. We ended up leaving in a rush Monday night (we were there a whole whopping 24 hours) so I could see a doctor Tuesday morning to get my asthma under control. When I went in on Tuesday morning I was told I was very close to having an attack and that it was good we came back. We stayed down in Roy until Thursday morning to give my medications a chance to get into my system and got back to camp around noon on Thursday. We still didn't have a place to stay and ended up camping out in my classroom for a couple nights while we waited to have a tent brought up to us.
Now, we have a tent and we absolutely love it! It has tons of room (Todd can even stand up straight in it) and it's clean. The only down side, is that we are now living in "Tent City" with all the other staffers. Which honestly, isn't too bad. We were worried all the noise and talking would keep us up late but actually people tend to go to sleep pretty quickly. By the end of the day we are all pretty tired. So now that our living situation is all figured out, we are having much more fun.
During Staff Week, we had the chance to head up to the Range and shoot some rounds. It was so much fun! They have Bolt Action .22's and a Shotgun Range. Honestly, shooting shotguns isn't my favorite because they are soo big and so loud, but I love to shoot .22's. That's my kind of gun! Todd and I had some friendly competition going on, but sadly he did better than me. ha ha. I have to say though, I did quite well. Todd ended up getting 5/5 in the black in one minute (two times) and then he got 8/9 in the black in a minute. I ended up getting 3/5, 4/5, 5/5 in the black each one in a minute. Not too shabby right? It was a ton of fun!
The funny thing is, we are working at an Aquatics Base right on the lake and we haven't been in the water yet. ha ha. We will one day! I can't wait to go canoeing and sailing. It would be great to just go lay out on the beach too. We just haven't had time yet.
The first week of camp when the scouts were actually here was pretty crazy. I am having so much fun teaching photography and Todd is having a blast Directing the Outdoor Skills Area. The only downside to teaching photography is that I do most of my teaching inside so I'm not getting as much of a tan as I thought I would. ha ha. Todd however, spent most of the first week burnt to a crisp. He was even wearing sunblock and he still got burnt. Poor guy. I did get a little sun burnt when I went to assist with the Horsemanship merit badge but that's about it. I won't be doing that all of the time though just every once in awhile.
Todd throwing rope at me.
Todd and his staff built this. It's not completed yet.
All in all, it's been way fun so far. Friday was the most stressful day of the week because i'm in charge of all of the Blue Cards for Merit Badges and I had to collect and sort every single one. This week there were probably close to a thousand. maybe 800. ha ha. But whatever the number, it felt like a thousand. It was extremely stressful ( I have a migraine to prove it). I spent 10 hours on Friday collecting and sorting. For this week, i'm going to have a better system and hopefully it will go much much smoother. Todd was so sweet and stayed with me all day to help. He's such a good guy :)
What is the best part about working at Bear Lake? The sunsets.
Every evening the sunset is breathtaking. When the sun has fully set behind the mountains the lake seems to glow a bright turquoise. It is probably one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen.
I'll try to keep up on posts about our adventures in Bear Lake :)
No comments:
Post a Comment