Today I accomplished something I have been wanting to do since I moved to St. George. I rappelled down the face of Dixie Rock. So scary, but so much fun! I have a tiny bit of experience with rappelling. In high school for our group day-date we went caving and there was some rappelling involved. Then a few years ago when Todd and I worked at the Bear Lake Aquatics Base I rappelled down our climbing tower. Rappelling has just enough scary to it to make it so much fun. The adrenaline is a blast! My good friend Robert, who is a master at rappelling/climbing came and taught me all the ropes (no pun intended..ha!).
We did two different rappels. The fist one was just off to the side of "Dixie" and the second we rappelled right down the middle of the "D".
The view. I love where I live.
Robert talking to me about the two different rappels.
At this point I was starting to really get nervous.
Getting set up.. yikes!
Clearly, Chloe was thrilled about being there...
The first rappel:
We started with this one because it is easier to step down and get started.
The cool part is when the rock wall curves in and you end up free hanging.
Todd and Chloe stayed at the bottom and took pictures. Plus Todd had his hand on my rope so he could catch me if I started falling.
The second rappel:
This one is shorter, but it is a straight drop off which makes starting out and taking that first step really scary.
Robert & I decided to go down together which was nice because he was there to coach me.
Thank you so much for helping me accomplish this goal Robert! It was so scary but so much fun! On the drive home I kept saying " Man I can't believe I did that! I'm so glad I did that!".
In the spring, I'm going to try rock climbing!













No comments:
Post a Comment